A second Gallery Tunic

After finishing a new garment, I almost always have revisions I’d like to make, or some small mod to the pattern, to get an even better fit.  However, I rarely take the time to make the garment a second time.  This is mostly because I have project ADD.  I have so many things I want to make, and my brain is always bouncing around thinking about the next one.  However, Liesl + Co hosted a Gallery Tunic sew along in February, so it was the perfect opportunity to make this shirt again.

DSC_0383

I made a few simple changes, in order correct some things that bothered me about my first attempt.  For this tunic I shortened it by 2.5″.  I am 5’1″ on my tall days, and have virtually no waist.  My ribs pretty much just sit on top of my hips, seriously.  That means I will probably need to shorten most tops I make.  See, I’m learning!

The stiffness of placket really bothered me on the first tunic I made.  The pattern instructs you to interface the placket, collar and cuffs.  However, despite my best researching skills, I found little information on specifically what type of interfacing should be used.  I learned in the sew a long that the interfacing should not change the hand or drape of the fabric.  Good to know! That also explains why my last tunic seemed so stiff, I was clearly not using the right stuff!

Here is a quick pic of my tunic mid way through completion.

24951292310_7936d7f5bc_bTake note on that stiff placket (yes, you’re right, the collar is not stitched down).  The red shirt on the right is a ready to wear shirt that was in my closet.  Now, I’m sure it’s not proper sewing form, but I actually like the soft floppy placket on the RTW shirt.  So, to achieve a similar look, I boldly ripped out my interfaced placket (having to go up into the sergered shoulder seams to get it out, eek!)  I replaced it with a simple strip of fabric, making the finished placket slightly smaller, and hopefully more flexible. I also decided to take in the tunic about 1/2″ on each side to get it to be slightly more fitted, even after trading the hips down a size.  I had a little trouble with the split hem after doing this, but I tried to just iron it into submission.

25127569242_4206dc6a29_o

I chose the 3/4 sleeves with banded collar for this version.  I topstitched the collar in place, because I was impatient after all that ripping, and my hastiness shows.  I will definitely hand stitch down the next time.

Overall I’m very pleased with how this version turned out.  It’s even made me brave enough to go back to my first tunic and alter the placket on that piece as well. Sewing a handmade wardrobe is a lot of work, and it won’t be worth it unless I actually like and wear the pieces I make!

Pattern: Gallery Tunic by Liesl + Co
Fabric: Cloud9 Double Gauze from Joann’s
Size: 2 graded to a 0 in the hips

Advertisements

One thought on “A second Gallery Tunic

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s