I am so excited to share my first finished #sewbibs project with you today! In case you missed all the details on this fun challenge I’m co-hosting, you can check Teri’s post here (lots of pattern and fabric shop discount codes in there as well, if you are thinking about joining in on the fun!)
I have lots of bibs on my wish list, but I decided to sew up the Ronja Dungaree’s from Named to start. These are actually the first bibs I have sewn, and worn in my adult life. Part of my reluctance in sewing (and wearing) overalls relates back to my early adult hood. I was one of those people who always looked younger than I was. After college I felt this need to look older, but still always felt like a kid. I really had no “fashion” sense, or sense of my own style either. However, I did my best to swear off the clothes of my high school and college days in an attempt to feel older. Long story short, I’ve been reluctant to head back to styles I used to wear when I was younger.
With 2 kids in tow, and 40 just around the corner, I no longer look younger than I am (but hopefully not older either!) At any rate, it’s time I wear what I want. Which apparently is floral overalls! Now, I know this is not a look that appeals to everyone, but I have to say, I love it. I’ve loved this Rifle Paper fabric since it came out, and have a pair of summer shorts planed in the black color way. When we got this natural color way in the shop at Ewe I just couldn’t say no.
I love that these overalls have a slightly more feminine silhouette than a traditional dungaree pattern. They have a smaller bib, with no buckles, and straight legs. The pattern still comes with some more traditional details, like top stitching all the things, and side button plackets. I did opt to install only 4 buttons on each side, because who has time for 5? That’s 10 total buttons, and I don’t know about you, but I like to drink coffee…
I also had to make some other small alterations. Named patterns are drafted for a height of 5’8″ and that’s about 7″ taller than I am. I knew I would have to take some length out. I highly recommend making a muslin, especially if you are shorter/taller than the pattern is drafted for. I shortened the top bib an inch, the rise at the hips an inch (which meant I was altering a lot of pattern pieces!) and took some length out of the legs. Overall I took about 4″ out of the pattern.
I also had to do some grading to get the fit right. I am sort of a rectangle shape; my measurements are Bust: 33″, Waist: 28″ and Hips:36″. I am always nervous things will be too small (I’m looking at you persephone pants) so I decided to cut a straight US 6 based on my waist measurement. Overall I found the pattern to be fairly curvy, and I had a lot of excess fabric around my hips, so I ended up taking the hips in to about the US 0, which actually falls in line with my measurements. There are 4 waist darts in the back, and 2 in the front, so I may have been able to start with the smallest size, and let out the darts some, but I am happy with the fit I achieved.
All in all, it sounds like a lot of work, and it kind of was. However, that’s generally how I approach sewing projects. If there is a way to make something complicated, I will find it!
I would be remiss if I didn’t at least mention my new Taos Top that I made specifically to go with these bibs. I used a Birch Organic rib knit in Mineral from Ewe. It was my first time sewing with this rib knit, and I ended up having to size down from my normal size in the Toas to make it fit right. I chose to sew view A, but with the cowl neck from view B. I love how it looks paired with these bibs!
Thanks for following along! I hope you are enjoying #sewbibs as much as I am! I have a giveaway open on Instagram until 5pm tonight (3/20) for the Kendrick Overalls by Hey June, so pop on over there to enter that as well!